It is also advised to have frequent, smaller meals. This keeps one satiated for long, and keeps the sugar levels in check. Fruits that are low in sugar content such as apple, orange, and guava are good for diabetics. All kinds of alcoholic drinks, foods high in sugar, and fatty foods should be avoided.
The diet should include proper amount of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. However, among all these, carbohydrates have the greatest influence on the blood sugar level. So, a low carb diet is the best option. Fatty foods such as butter, oil, and fried foods are harmful for a diabetic patient. Instead of these, grilled, baked, boiled, or steamed food can be consumed. Let’s take a look into some mouth-watering recipes for diabetics.
Fresh Herb and Vegetable Omelet
- Egg whites, 8
- Milk, ¾ cup (fat free)
- Basil, 1 tbsp. (fresh, minced)
- Rosemary, 1 tbsp. (fresh, minced)
- Chives, 2 tbsp. (fresh, minced)
- Parsley, 1 tbsp. (fresh, minced)
- Olive oil, 1 tbsp.
- Red bell peppers, 1 cup (diced)
- Mushrooms, 1 cup (fresh, sliced)
- Onions, 1 cup (sliced)
- Garlic, 2 cloves (minced)
- Bread, 4 slices (without crust)
- Scallions, 1 cup
- Cottage cheese, 1 cup (low fat)
- Preheat the oven up to 350°F.
- Beat the egg whites in a bowl, and keep it aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Saute peppers, mushrooms, scallions, and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Keep the bread slices in a large casserole dish, and add the remaining ingredients.
- Pour mixture of eggs on the bread.
- Now, add all the cooked vegetables.
- Bake for half an hour until the omelet puffs up and appears set.
Green Beans with Almonds
- Green beans, 250 g
- Water, 2 tbsp.
- Butter, 1 tbsp.
- Toasted almonds, ¼ cup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- First break the ends of the beans into 2-inch pieces.
- Keep the beans in a saucepan.
- Add water, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Put a cover on the saucepan and boil it.
- Now, drain it.
- Pour butter and toss, so that the butter melts.
- Top it with toasted almonds, and serve.
Sugar-Free Pecan Pie
- Eggs, 2
- Skim milk, ¾ cup
- Water, ⅓ cup
- Granular fructose, ⅔ cup
- Sugar-free vanilla pudding, 0.8 oz. (not instant)
- Pie shell, 1, 9-inch (unbaked)
- Chopped pecans, ¼ cup
- Grape-Nuts cereal, ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix water with fructose and boil on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Keep it to cool.
- Add dry pudding into fructose mixture.
- Mix with skim milk and eggs.
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour the mixture into pie shell, sprinkle pecans and grape-nuts on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the top is firmly set.
- Cut it after 1 or 2 hours.
These healthy recipes will not only provide proper nutrition, but will also excite your taste buds. So enjoy them without feeling guilty!